Friday, January 23, 2015

The Glory Days - in memory of Brackston

Today has been one of the saddest days I've had in a long time. Finding out that a dear, dear friend is gone makes me wish I could just turn back time and recount those days in Athens, GA . I don't remember exactly when I "met" Brackston. I feel like I've just always known him.... I think we actually met in the Science library, between classes. Neither of us needed very much prodding to become distracted from studying ...the next thing I knew we were laughing too loud for the library and had to "take it outside."  We were instant friends.  I loved how "real" he always was. I know he had tons of friends... To know him, was to love him. I just feel honored to have been one of them.  Brackston lived in the moment back then. I loved that about him. A 1:00 am phone call of, "Whatcha doin?" never seemed the least bit strange.  I was studying, he knew he could distract me, it was a "win:win."  After graduation and many ups and downs of life, we lost that closeness that we shared back in the day. But if we ever ran into eachother, we'd hug, and without saying it, I knew I had a friend for life...not because I'm that special but because that's how loyal he was to his friends. I had the privilege of hanging out with him one Saturday night a month or so ago. It was the first time in probably 15 years that we've hung out.... I wish it had lasted longer but I thank God that I had the opportunity. I hugged him, we said our goodbyes and I really wanted us to plan to get together again soon. All day today I've asked myself, should I have seen the signs?  Although my heart has hurt all day, it hurts even more for those closer to him than I was.  I hope and pray that they can find peace in the days to come. I can't help but think that one day, when we all get to heaven, he'll be there saying, "what took y'all so long?" and then there will be no crying....we can sit around laugh and talk about the old times ... the  glory days.

No comments:

Post a Comment